DEPARTMENT: Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Programs and Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Union)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
PAY RATE: $ 26.60 per hour
START DATE: Immediately
END DATE: March 31, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
With over 39 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The purpose of this Bridge2Work program is to support clients in their path to skills training and employment in the skill trades sector through the Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship Training Program in partnership with Humber College. This program assists unemployed and low-income clients with an opportunity to pursue a new career in the Skilled Trades sector by providing information and referrals, skills assessments, career action plans, individual/group employment counseling, workshops related to workplace inclusion, job search, and retention, and
placement and employment supports.
- Network with community agencies and perform community outreach visits to promote and raise profile of Skills for Change and
- Provide clients with information sessions on Skills for Change programs as well as all relevant resources and services available in the community
- Conduct information sessions and Common assessment intakes, provide one on one counseling support and guidance as well as develop client career action plans
- Research and keep updated on the Skills Trade Apprenticeship process and existing labor market information for the Carpentry sector.
- Works with clients with specialized needs and assist them with navigating their career transitions and addressing their barriers in achieving their career goals
- Support clients towards their employment action plan, including job search preparation, understanding the labour market demands, managing their expectations, supporting their job search activities, assisting them to match resumes with job postings and prepare them for interviews, monitor their work placements, and support their job readiness and retention once employed.
- Provide clients with wraparound supports through referring them to appropriate services to address their needs
- Facilitate Workplace preparation and essential skills workshops that include career planning, employer expectations, workplace empowerment and advancement, and gender-sensitive training
- Develop, implement and revise as necessary an effective marketing strategy to build employer contacts as well as a strategy for marketing the Employment and Training Incentives for Employers
- Market clients to potential employers and help clients find paid work placements
- Assist employers in developing on-the-job training plans and monitoring of placements
- Conduct site visits assessing the appropriateness of the workplace and the capacity of the employer to provide a positive experience and work-related training
- Liaise with partners to develop and support clients through the training and placement
- Coordinate peer mentorship networking and individual sessions between clients and alumni
- Work with the partners and team to develop and support job retention strategies both from an employer and client perspective
- Maintain client case management files, update client information on Funders’ and Agency required databases (EOIS-CaMS, Salesforce) and track and produce all statistical reports as required by the program, including preparing client testimonials and success stories
- Follow up with clients at regular intervals as mandated or required by the program
- Participate and assist in the organization, marketing, and promotion of various events such as employer engagement, mentoring, networking sessions, special events etc.
- Conduct outreach in the community to promote Employment Ontario and other Skills for Change programs and services
- Work as part of the agency, EO and Bridge2Work specialists teams to ensure smooth delivery and coordination of services to clients
- Support with the facilitation of employment workshops at Skills for Change sites and in the community
- Maintain positive professional relationships and communication links with public and other relevant community resources
- Participate in the agency distribution, collection, and analysis of participant surveys and other evaluation and tracking procedures
- Evaluate the effectiveness of service delivery and present solutions to enhance services on an ongoing basis
- Handle additional tasks as required by the Site Supervisor and Senior Manager of Programs and Services
- Participate in all meetings as required
SKILLS, EDUCATION & ATTRIBUTES:
- Post-Secondary degree in social work and/or credentials as a Social Worker, Community (Support) Worker, or Career Counsellor required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience providing wrap-around supports, job coaching and counselling for women, youth, newcomers and immigrants, and individuals in receipt of social assistance required
- Experienced with building relationships with employers to establish placement and employment opportunities
- Knowledge and understanding of Adult learning principles
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with skills trade labour market information and the provincial licensing requirements
- Knowledge of all community resources that can support marginalized women, in order to provide the necessary guidance and referrals
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, issues and barriers to employment faced by women, immigrants, youth and other disadvantaged groups
- Excellent employment counseling and facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal, written communication and customer service skills
- Excellent teamwork and positive attitude towards change
- Strong Problem solving skills and organizational skills
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office, ability to deliver PowerPoint presentations
- Knowledge of Salesforce and EOIS-CaMS is an asset
- Position requires travel; car is an asset
- Must have a valid Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO:email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.