JOB CLASSIFICATION: Assistant, Events & Communications
DEPARTMENT: Fund Development & Program Design
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791, St. Clair Avenue West, Toronto, ON
REPORTS TO: Manager, Events & Communications
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Union)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday) with occasional evenings/weekends
PAY RATE: $21.00 per/hr
START DATE: January 2023
END DATE: December 31, 2023
Located on the traditional territories of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, Haudenosaunee, and the Wendat peoples, Skills for Change is working towards advancing the Sustainable Development Goals for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.
Named Charity Village’s Best Non-Profit Employer – Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and winner of the 2021 Canada Volunteer Awards for Innovation, our organization is committed to reducing poverty, improve mental health, eliminating gender-based violence, building community, eradicating systemic racism, and settling and creating sustainable communities for all immigrants, refugees, and underserved communities.
Start your career with SfC and join our 40-year history of creating innovative programming to build welcoming and equitable communities.
With 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training, together with specialized programs for trades, women, and youth.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
Skills for Change believes that our brand recognition can create collective impact to create meaningful change for immigrants, refugees and underserved communities. As such, we are looking for someone to support the development and execution of Skills for Change’s signature events as well as being responsible for executing multiple small to medium events that support our sustainability programming. Events include media launches, symposiums, recruitment and/or community events and fundraising initiatives. This position reports to our Manager of Events and Communications, and works collaboratively with internal departments, event participants, committees, vendors and event donors to organize events that increase Skills for Change’s profile.
IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
The successful candidate will bring a high-level of detail-oriented writing to content development, the ability to learn Skills for Change’s voice and a commitment to delivering excellent work with competing deadlines. In addition to internal/external communications, this role will assist in the implementation of program marketing across the organization for our sustainability programs. You will help drive key digital enablement roadmaps across Website/Content Management Systems (CMS) and local search platforms, while working collaboratively with internal partners to ensure a cohesive digital customer journey is maintained and optimized across client level touchpoints.
- Believes in the power of social programs to help people build a better
- A passion for advocating immigrant talent and their access to economic
- Flexible, responsive, and open to new ways of thinking and problem-solving and a willingness to learn
- Interest in data analytics and data organization
- Believes that collaboration is the name of the game to get things done
- Wants to develop understanding of brand awareness and its execution internally and externally
- Innovative and creative thinking competencies to generate exposure for SfC’s sustainability programs
- Assist in all Agency-wide events and campaigns that generate awareness and build funds for the organization
- Conduct research for new event concepts, strategic partnerships, and donors
- Create communications for production, content development, logistics and coordination (speakers, sponsors, suppliers) for Agency- wide events
- Assist in the development of communications to promote events, including working with the Marketing team on social media engagement and media advisories
- Participate in event sponsor benefit delivery (Standard Events, Signature Events and Season Sponsors)
- Advance database management and maintenance
- Track analysis of marketing metrics for events
- Engage in continuous research to identify new and potential sponsors for our events and speakers for our Employment Ontario
- Plan production and execution of fundraising events including signature events such as our Diversity@Work Conference and Pioneers for Change
- Collaborate cross-functionally on content development, marketing tactics, online and in-person event experiences, and sponsorship plans for all events
- Ensure a superior event experience for attendees, sponsors, donors, and key stakeholders
- Support relationships with external vendors and suppliers
- Be a liaison for event partners including but not limited to performers, vendors, volunteers, artists,
- Aid in recruitment, training, and management of event volunteers
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTES:
- 2+ years of event coordination and event marketing experience, preferably in a non-profit organization is required
- Bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Event Management or related field is mandatory
- Experience using social media tools and platforms
- Passion about the mission and vision of the organization
- Consistently sound judgement and an ability to work successfully under pressure
- Experiencing planning and executing in-person, virtual and hybrid event
- Experience executing event marketing campaigns via owned and social media channels
- Proven ability to analyze and organize data to drive business initiatives
- Strong written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills; ability to communicate with confidence
- Experience contributing to content development
- Ability to operate in a digital-first environment using digital tools including database management software, virtual event registration software, and WordPress content management software
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that is fluid and constantly changing
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- A clear vulnerable sector check is required
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
As part of our commitment to diversity & inclusion racial justice and reconciliation, Skills for Change encourages applications from those who identify as Black, Indigenous, LGBTQS+, Racialized and other under-represented communities. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process.
If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in an alternate format on request. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.