DEPARTMENT: Immigrant, Refugee and Settlement Hub
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Programs and Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent (Union)
HOURS: 30 hours per week (Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 18.59
START DATE: Immediately
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The support and needs of newcomers is constantly changing. As Skills for Change continues to support newcomers and meet their evolving needs, it is imperative that we build upon innovative ways to serve them. The role of Youth Outreach Worker is to provide high quality and responsive services to support newcomer youth (ages 16-29) successfully adjust, integrate socially and economically into the Canadian environment, and become self-sufficient. This role will primarily deliver settlement orientation/information sessions, conduct individual needs assessments, develop action plans and leadership training with clients and conduct referrals to internal or external programs and services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement effective outreach strategies to engage local community
- Deliver the Youth Leadership training as per the curriculum; adjust the curriculum as needed to meet the needs of the clients
- Market and promote Skills for Change youth settlement services to various stakeholders including networking sessions and special events and raise Agency profile.
- Plan, organize and implement community involvement initiatives to raise awareness about youth in conjunction with other community organizations
- Establish and maintain relationships with local school boards, community and youth service providers
- Maintain up to date knowledge regarding issues and trends related to settlement for newcomer youth
- Conduct individual and/or group counselling and conduct a thorough needs assessment to develop settlement action plans. Provide clients with information on relevant internal and external settlement services and resources in the community
- Case-manage clients, follow up with client status and update files
- Maintain client case management files, update client information on Salesforce, google docs and iCARE. Follow up with clients at regular intervals as mandated or required.
- Support the design and implementation of youth engagement activities. Including speaker and youth forums.
- Maintain accurate records and statistics related to the activities undertaken and outcomes achieved and prepare monthly reports Track, produce and report all statistical reports as required by the program.
- Participate in team meetings; staff meetings and committee meetings as required
- Develop and update information materials such as application/referral forms, attendance lists and presentations.
- Participate in the distribution, collection, collation and analysis of participant surveys and other evaluation methodology.
- Liaise with other SfC program staff on an ongoing basis to support and monitor client progress. Delivering smooth coordination of services between SfC programs
- Participate in all meetings as required
- Maintain positive professional relationships and communication links with public and other relevant community resource.
- Provide front desk reception coverage
- Additional duties as assigned by management
SKILLS, EDUCATION & ATTRIBUTES:
- University degree or college diploma (or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Education or other related field
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in social service delivery environment
- Criminal reference check for vulnerable sector is required
- Experience with outreach activities, presentations and strategies
- Experience working with youth, sensitivity and knowledge in dealing with youth from different cultural and racial backgrounds and youth with special needs
- Ability to work in an efficient manner with a high degree of independence
- Problem solving skills and resourcefulness in meeting clients’ support needs
- Experience working in/knowledge of the community resources in GTA and surrounding areas would be an asset
- Understanding of, issues of concern to the refugee and immigrants
- Demonstrated ability to develop goals and service delivery plans with participants
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Excellent verbal, written communication and customer service skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Suites
- Proficiency in Salesforce and iCARE would be an asset
- Excellent teamwork and positive attitude towards change
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.