PROGRAM: Pre-Apprenticeship Programs
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West Toronto
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Programs and Services
CONTRACT TYPE: 1 year contract
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday)
START DATE: April 1, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31, 2022
With over 39 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected charity with a province-wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, mental health, entrepreneurship, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for trades, women, and youth. We have an almost $9 million annual budget, locations across the GTA and Hamilton over 100 full-time and part-time staff and serve 16,000 clients annually.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The supervisor, programs and services will be in charge of implementing three pre-apprenticeship projects (Horticulture Technician, General
Carpentry & Welding) in Toronto region. Reporting directly to the Senior Manager, Programs and Services, the supervisor has primary responsibility for the current program management and new program development. The supervisor is also responsible for outreach and networking with a variety of stakeholders to enhance SfC’s competitive position. They will also be responsible for the portfolio growth and development of new initiatives to assist in the integration of newcomer professionals and other members of the broader community into the Canadian labor market.
The Supervisor, programs and services is responsible for the implementation, supervision and evaluation of SfC’s programs by Standards
set out by the organization.
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible
dimensions of diversity
- Demonstrated commitment to high standards of culturally responsive service delivery within an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework
- Knowledge of social issues, immigrant issues, social isolation, sexual assault and VAW
- Knowledge of community resources and services relating to mental health services
- Demonstrated ability in using discretion in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential issues
- Understanding of and extensive experience in crisis response
- Proficiency in planning, implementing and evaluating group activities
- Good organizational skills, ability to multitask while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrated high degree of initiative, judgment and problem-solving ability
- Intermediate to master level skills in Microsoft and Google Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Working knowledge of POES and Sales Force (database systems)
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends if required
- Ensure that clients are effectively and efficiently served by the Programs staff members.
- Monitor and track program outcomes and targets to ensure they are being met in a timely manner.
- Adhere to and follow all program reporting mechanisms as laid out in the contractual agreement.
- Intervene and support staff in dealing with difficult clients/situations when necessary.
- Collaborate and work closely with other SfC Supervisors to establish processes and protocols for sharing resources and referrals and to build agency capacity.
- Travel to other SfC locations is an integral part of the position.
- Oversee the hiring, orientation, probationary and annual performance evaluations, supervision and discipline of staff members.
- Continually work at building and maintaining a strong team environment and ensure smooth communication amongst all the team members.
- Share on a regular basis with program team, professional development and training opportunities, Ministry updates and releases.
- Ensure that staff remains motivated and engage in ongoing learning and skills enhancement to better serve the needs of clients.
- Ensure that staff relations and work conditions promote a barrier-free, non-discriminatory environment which is consistent with the agency’s anti-racism, anti-discrimination/harassment policies.
- Assist Senior Manager with developing and implementing policies and procedures governing the operation of the site.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Manager, Programs and Services to ensure that HR policies and procedures are consistent and effective.
- Provide backup support as required.
Development of Services and Resources:
- Supervise the development, delivery and enhancement of Pre-Apprenticeship Projects.
- Keep updated of policy changes, immigration trends, regulations and program development as it relates to service delivery and participants seeking to enter the workforce.
- Work with staff to create appropriate processes to ensure coordinated and integrated service delivery to clients across all the agency’s programs and services, particularly across locations.
- Identify and develop new services and resources based on client needs and work at continually enhancing service delivery and increasing business intelligence.
- Monitor and track the smooth and ongoing operation of cross program referrals and shared resources.
- Work closely with other service providers and community organizations
- Liaise with Employer Engagement and Marketing Departments in the planning and organization of special events, job fairs, and networking events.
- Coordinate the selection, organization and display of materials and resources at the site.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of service delivery in consultation with the Senior Manager, Programs and Services and present solutions to enhance services on an ongoing basis.
- Initiate community partnerships that will enhance the services offered to clients.
- Represent the SfC Pre-Apprenticeship team amongst community partners at external committees, network meetings, outreach events etc.
- Maintain a positive professional relationship and communication links with public and relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare Initial reports, Interim reports, annual reports, and other reports as required by the funder.
- Write monthly management narrative reports and prepare agency statistical reports.
- Collect, analyze, track and monitor monthly, quarterly and annual statistical reports and statistics on an ongoing basis to ensure program targets are being met on a timely basis.
- Take timely and corrective action when necessary if program targets are falling behind.
- Develop, manage and oversee program budget including client employment and training supports.
- Coordinate project purchases (vendors, resources, supplies, capital items), oversee petty cash, and approve program expenses.
- Participate in meetings such as Management meetings, program team, staff, and other meetings as required.
- Work cooperatively with other Skills for Change staff involved in related initiatives.
- Handle additional tasks as required by the Senior Manager Programs and Services.
SKILLS, EDUCATION AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Master’s degree in related discipline or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in program management within an Employment Ontario program.
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years’ experience with staff supervision within a unionized environment.
- Superior skills in proposal writing.
- Experience in budget preparation and budget management.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Extensive experience working cooperatively with various government and community agencies providing training and employment services.
- Demonstrated excellence in: time management, organization, planning and research skills.
- Knowledge/understanding of and sensitivity to issues of concern to immigrants and refugees and those with special needs.
- Strong leadership and teambuilding skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Positive and flexible attitude towards change and willingness to contribute to organizational goals.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO:email@example.com
As part of our commitment to diverse & inclusion racial justice and reconciliation, Skills for Change encourages applications from those who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of colour, and other underrepresented communities. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.