JOB CLASSIFICATION: Supervisor, Compensation, Financial Analysis & Reporting
DEPARTMENT: Finance Department
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair West, Toronto, Ontario M6C 1B7
REPORTS TO: CFO
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Non-Union)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
START DATE: August 29, 2022 or Earlier
END DATE: April 30, 2023
With 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Finance & Accounting team at Skills for Change manages the financial reporting, program reporting, compensation, agency and program accounting, and financial analysis functions. This position reports to the CFO. The Accounting Supervisor will oversee, coordinate, and provide guidance to a team of two Accounting and Compensation Analysts, and liaise with the various program managers. You will be responsible to support and backup the team during your contract.
The role of the Accounting Supervisor is to ensure that all accounting operations within the Finance & Accounting department runs smoothly. Financial and accounting operations includes the accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll accounting, the general ledger, and the agency and program reporting functions. This position will oversee accounting transactions applicable to an organization that operates a diverse set of programs with a high degree of accuracy and in accordance with established deadlines.
The successful candidate will be highly organized, efficient, and proficient at prioritizing competing deadlines. The candidate will demonstrate problem-solving skills and exercise professional judgement. This position would be well suited to an individual who is hands-on and enjoys working with a team, liaising with program managers, is detail oriented and is enthusiastic about continuous learning.
- Provide regular support to the processing of accounts payable and transactions into the accounting systems.
- Investigate outstanding transactions and accounting issues.
- Assist with compensation and payroll accounting.
- Monitor and track payroll changes to ensure accurate accounting of payroll expenditures.
- Support the preparation of cheques and electronic funds transfer(EFT) payments.
- Coordinate and prepare account reconciliations and analysis with supporting documents.
- Manage month-end & year-end close procedures.
- Manage and assist the preparation of program level financials and to meet reporting deadlines.
- Provide regular support and resolution to client issues
- Boost a shared vision on Skills for Change delivery by raising the Skills for Change and showcasing Skills for Change jointly with wider partners at events, and wider activities where possible.
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and all other meetings as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience working as an Accounting Supervisor is preferred.
- Sound knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Proficient in using accounting software such as SAGE Intacct or equivalent and web-based technologies like Microsoft Office suite, Google Suite, Zoom, Slack etc.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Accurate and detail oriented.
- Strong management and leadership skills with the ability to lead, motivate and coach the team.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collectively in a diverse and dynamic team environment.
- Strong planning and organization skills with ability to prioritize deliverables.
- Ability to adapt to change and is open to working with new technologies.
- Effective communication skills especially verbal and writing, with the ability to summarize complex information in clear, non-specialist language for a wide range of communication formats.
- Support the promotion of Skills for Change’s added value in priority thematic areas and sectors for newcomers, immigrants and refugees, linking up to analysis from expert organizations among others. Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Comfortable working in a remote work environment when required and with electronic records and in a reduced paper environment.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ethical, positive work attitude, and is punctual and reliable.
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset.
- Degree/Diploma in Business Administration, Accounting or a related field.
- Enrolled in the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) program is preferred but is not required for a person with proven experience.
- Proven experience in accounting, finance and/or support functions.
- Relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities is preferable.
- A clear, mandatory vulnerable sector check.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO:
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request. The agency provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.