POSITION TITLE: Supervisor, Black Community Access Programming (BCAP)
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT: Black Community Access Programming and Strategic Initiatives
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
JOB GROUP: Management (Non-Unionized)
REPORTS TO: Manager, BCAP and Strategic Initiatives
START DATE: Immediately
Founded in 1982, Skills for Change (SfC) is a highly respected charity with a province-wide reputation for pioneering
programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to the effective economic and social
integration of Immigrants and Refugees. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment,
mental health, entrepreneurship, settlement, and language training together with specialized programs for trades,
women, and youth. We have an $8.5 million annual budget, locations across the GTA and Hamilton 80-100 full-time
and part-time staff and serve 16,000 clients annually. Skills for Change has received significant recognition for its
achievements in community service delivery and diversity and inclusion.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Black Community Access Programming Department within Skills for Change was established to combat individual and systemic anti-
Black racism by providing culturally competent programs and services to the members of the Black communities, including engaging in
advocacy, community development, employment and skills development training, mental health and other supports. Since 2020, the
department has grown from one program to five distinct programs, with several programs in development. The incumbent must have a
history of demonstrated commitment to the Black community and work related to anti-Black racism, community development and/or
nonprofit program delivery. Experience in program development, a sound understanding of African-Canadian history and the Black
Diaspora combined with a lived understanding of issues, currently confronting Black Canadians.
The Supervisor, Black Community Access and Programming (BCAP) is responsible for the management of the new strategic program(s)
in support of Black ∕African-diasporic communities, as well as management of outreach activities. Under the supervision of the Manager,
BCAP and Strategic Initiatives, the Supervisor participates in new program development, guides the implementation and program delivery
of multiple programs and contributes to policy development and strategies to support the department’s growth.
• To oversee program implementation and coordinate operations of the program (s) or projects specific to the Black Community
• To ensure the smooth operation of programs and continuous improvement in service delivery.
• To promote services by developing relationships with stakeholders such as the funder, community partners, employers and other
• To liaise between stakeholders and Skills for Change as required including employers, community agencies and funders.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
• Experience working with, sensitivity and knowledge in dealing with individuals from different cultural and racial backgrounds with special
needs, marginalized and equity-seeking groups
• Knowledge about Greater Toronto’s Black ∕African-diasporic communities including LGBTQ+ and the issues facing members of those
• Knowledge/understanding of and sensitivity to issues of concern to Black immigrants and refugees and Black youth in the GTA and
• Knowledge of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion best practices and Anti-Black Racism frameworks
• Extensive experience working cooperatively with various government and community agencies providing training and employment
• Experience in budget preparation and budget management.
• Superior proposal writing, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships with the stakeholders in equity-seeking communities
• Demonstrated excellence in time management, organization, planning and research skills
• Excellent verbal, written communication and facilitation skills
• Exceptional collaborations and teamwork skills and positive attitude towards change
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced and diverse team environment.
•Reporting to the Manager, BCAP and Strategic Initiatives, promote Skills for Change to relevant partners, the business community, the
community, the media and the general public to further the strategic enhancing of programs for the Black Community.
• Devise and implement courses, projects and programmes which generate activity in and around BCAP, including programs in collective
impact, community development, programs relating to the advancement and empowerment of Black youth
• Produce oral and written reports on engagement level, activity delivery and the development of new programmes / projects. Actively
participate in, and contribute to, relevant sub-groups of the Skills for Change.
• Advance the vision and mission of Skills for Change and BCAP through community engagement, knowledge mobilization, contribution
to research and new partnership development.
• Supervise part-time and/or full-time program staff, including goal setting, performance management, professional development
• Manage budget lines and authorised expenditure within delegated limits and SfC’s financial policies and procedures.
• Support the development of high-quality, winning new program design and proposals by writing and editing proposal sections,
developing budgets and budget narratives, and supporting final proposal production for submission to donors.
• Manage internal communications with cross-functional teams and information sharing to ensure the production of a quality proposal.
Facilitate team decision-making and delegate action items as necessary. Supervisor staff of two direct reports and volunteers.
• Support data collection and participants engagement to inform strategic reports including annual Business Plans and other reports as
required by the funder.
• Collect, analyze, track and monitor monthly, quarterly and annual statistical reports and statistics on an ongoing basis to ensure program
targets are being met on a timely basis. In consultation with the Manager, take timely and corrective action when necessary if program
targets are falling behind.
• Any other duties assigned by the Manager, BCAP and Strategic Initiatives
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Post secondary degree in related field such as social work, humanities and social sciences or Child/Youth Worker, mental health
certification, life skills coach or demonstrated experience as it relates to the role is mandatory.
• Minimum 3 years supervisory experience in a similar capacity within a non-profit, philanthropy or public-sector environment required.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in program management including report preparation, budget development and management mandatory.
• A clear, mandatory vulnerable sector check
• Position requires travel; car is an asset
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO:
Attention: Human Resources
As part of our commitment to diverse & inclusion racial justice and reconciliation, Skills for Change encourages applications from those who identify as Black, Indigenous, LGBTQS+, Racialized and other under-represented communities. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in an alternate format on request. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.