JOB CLASSIFICATION: Social Service Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Chief Strategy, Innovation & Growth Officer
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (8 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 15.50
START DATE: May 22, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 10, 2023
With over 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
Skills for Change is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Social Service Assistant to join our team for a 8-week period starting on May 22nd, 2023. The successful candidate will work closely with the Operations team to provide support to ensure facility services are provided in an effective and efficient manner, support Health and Safety activities, and provide administrative support to property and facility projects.
- Receive and coordinate facilities support/maintenance requests;
- Assist with compiling and maintaining an equipment and furniture inventory for all sites;
- Update the supplier database;
- Update the contracts and agreements repository;
- Ensure attending contractors on site have authority to work and have provided the required Health and safety documentation to commence work;
- Liaise with service providers and contractors to ensure contracted services are rendered;
- General health and safety administration and duties including inspections and corrective actions;
- In collaboration with Management, update existing emergency policies and procedures and plan building fire drills;
- Provide on site support and oversight on all building projects undertaken, maintain effective administrative records and act as liaison between contractors and SfC.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Knowledge of facility maintenance and Health and Safety practices is an asset;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, taking direction from management and contributing ideas and solutions;
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound judgement;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion;
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Completed or in pursuit of post-secondary education in journalism, communications or relevant subject area and experience, as well as highly developed communication skills, drafting skills and familiarity with a range of media tools.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.