JOB CLASSIFICATION: Social Service Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)
DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: Black Community Access Program (BCAP)
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 65 Overlea Blvd, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, BCAP
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (8 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 15.50
START DATE: May 22, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 10, 2023
With over 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
Skills for Change is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Social Services Assistant to join our team for a 8-week period starting on May 22nd, 2023. The successful candidate will work in the Black Community Access Program (BCAP) team and provide all round support on outreach and program delivery.
- Assist in client engagement and community outreach of BCAP program delivery;
- Provide overall support in developing and executing content for social media and marketing materials;
- Collaborate with BCAP frontline staff in delivering BCAP programs
- Assist in planning and executing in-person and virtual events, including logistics, registration, and attendee engagement;
- Provide support for client and project participant engagement, including follow-up calls and emails, surveys, and feedback collection;
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders and implement effective client referrals.
- Provide input and ideas for creative engagement in communication tactics and campaigns;
- Support other administrative tasks as needed to ensure smooth operation of BCAP programs and initiatives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, taking direction from management and contributing ideas and solutions;
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound judgement;
- Experience in a Black community serving organization is an asset;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion;
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn while serving the Black community in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Completed or in pursuit of post-secondary education in Social Sciences, Community Development, Sociology, Project Management or relevant subject area and experience, as well as highly developed communication skills, program delivery and familiarity with challenges of Black community in Canada.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.