POSITION TITLE: Social Enterprise Development Manager
DEPARTMENT: Employment and Community Services
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair West, Toronto, Ontario M6C 1B7
REPORTS TO: Director Program Operations
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent (Non-Unionized)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday)
START DATE: Immediately
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
With over 39 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected charity with a province-wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, mental health, entrepreneurship, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
The Social Enterprise Development Manager is responsible for the development, implementation, coordination and promotion of Skills for Change’s (SfC) social enterprise, and similar revenue-generating programs. Reporting to the Director Program Operations, the expectation of the Social Enterprise Development Manager is to expand, develop new and grow our social enterprises, and move them into further financial sustainability while diversifying and increasing our revenue streams. Skills for Change believes that the sustainability of programming to serve community needs requires a diversified approach to funding and revenue generation. We are exploring new and innovative approaches to social enterprise revenue generation to support our pr ogramming mandate. This includes the development of learning and training-based products and services for organizations and individuals to supplement and/or fund ongoing and new Skills for Change program initiatives.
This role requires someone who can develop new business, network, communicate, and develop relationships while creating action plans and seeing them through. You have a track record of at least 3-5years in sales, business development and social enterprise/innovation project leadership. Your proven success in turning business opportunities into sustainable gro wth will be required to lead business development tasks on the management level including new services development. You are passionate and skilled at identifying s hort- and long-term opportunities for business growth with a clear focus and understanding of the customer need.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE IN THIS JOB:
- Further, SfC’s mission to deliver unrivalled programs that support the successful social and economic integration of Immigrants ts, Refugees and underserved communities.
- Grow SfC’s Social Enterprise operations by blending business skills with a passion for affecting positive community change and development.
- Increase core operational revenue to decrease reliance on government funding.
- Address a gap in the market for inclusive services.
- Support communities in defining projects and approaches to education, innovation, economic development and sustainability through the development of training and skills-building programs and services.
- Achieve superior growth and market performance through entrepreneurial approaches to implement innovative business concepts t o expand current fee for service program and develop new ideas for programming.
- Participate in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of key program activities according to SfC sales targets and/or donor/funder/lender requirements and regulations.
- Manage the commercial return on SfC’s social enterprises, including meeting and exceeding sales targets.
- Develop and implement a Social Enterprise strategy and operational plans for each Fee for Service and Social Enterprise initiative.
- Develop partnerships across multiple sectors, including the private sector, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and unions
- Secure new business through active engagement and outreach.
- Develop program plans for a new business that include all aspects from initial research and outreach through to evaluation to ensure projects are completed on time, on budget and are evaluated for economic and social impact.
- Develop and implement commercial and marketing strategies.
- Ensure accuracy, consistency and timeliness of financial and performance-oriented reports (quantitative and qualitative, financial and social).
- Update the strategic planning process through annual business plans (outlining financial projections) based on performance an analysis.
- Through quantitative and qualitative analysis, identify areas of strength and weakness to improve overall performance.
- Monitoring of budgets and expenditures.
- Monitoring and reporting on the social financing, and social enterprises marketplaces.
- Liaise on a regular and ongoing basis with donor institutions, agencies, and commercial.
- Develop a portfolio of social enterprise service, including securing new funding streams and developing/refining concepts.
- Develop and apply enterprise development best practices and approaches into new SfC programming and evaluate and promote cross linkage opportunities for enterprise development.
- Assist in developing and preparing business plans, briefings, and public relations material.
- Represent the agency at designated meetings and conferences.
- Sales & business development: Experience in sales and business development is highly prioritized for those with experience in social enterprise development in Canada.
- Entrepreneurship: Strong entrepreneurial spirit with a background in sales and marketing of services to individuals or companies (B2B).
- Project Execution: Ability to plan for, manage, and complete multiple complex projects simultaneously and within.
- Data management: Experience developing social impact and commercial measurement frameworks and reporting.
- Communication: Flawless written and oral communication Powerful interpersonal skills & presentation abilities, strong social antennae and the ability to use these to influence outcomes. Able to adapt style and approach based on context.
- Judgement: Strategic and tactical, makes decisions that balance a variety of factors to achieve an optimal.
- Developing & Leveraging Relationships: A track record of building trust and sustaining excellent internal and external relationships.
- Minimum 5 years’ Experience or education equivalent in Business Development and Business.
- Experience in project management required.
- Knowledge of Google suite, MS Office, Salesforce and database skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and strong attention to detail.
- Consistent ability to set and deliver against a work plan in a fast-paced environment.
- Available some evenings or weekends, as required.
- Satisfactory criminal background check.
To apply, please submit a cover letter that speaks about your two most significant professional achievements to date, and how you see yourlearnings apply to this role. We are looking for people with diverse experiences across a spectrum of sectors. If yo u are unsure about whether you would be a good fit for this role, we would be happy to set up a ten-minute phone call with you to talk it through prior to submittingyour application. If what you read so far seems like you are the ideal candidate, please go ahead and apply- applications will be assessed as they are received.
PLEASE SEND YOURAPPLICATION TO:email@example.com
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.