JOB CLASSIFICATION: Seniors Workshop Facilitator
DEPARTMENT: Employment and Community Services
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 21 King Street West, 5th floor, Hamilton, ON L8P 4W7
REPORTS TO: Manager, Programs and Services- Hamilton
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent (Union)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday) with occasional evenings/weekends
PAY RATE: $23 hourly
START DATE: Immediate
END DATE: Ongoing until filled
With 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mental health and wellness, mentoring, employment, settlement, language training, together with specialized programs for trades, women, seniors, and youth.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
To provide high quality and responsive workshops to support seniors from the GTA, Halton Region and surrounding areas. With the impact of COVID-19 and the increasing need, this role will work primarily with developing and delivering workshops to improve the well-being of seniors, reduce isolation, access to social mentoring, networking, technology skills training. Tackling Technology Together: Enhancing Technology Use and Mental Wellness for Seniors’ Program funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation, designed to help seniors in the Hamilton and Halton region enhance their technology skills and mental wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program’s goal is to provide technology training and support to seniors to increase their knowledge, skills, and independence using technology in everyday life. Workshops will cover technology training, apps, accessibility for older adults, and online safety.
- Proven experience in developing and delivering relevant workshops that meet the needs of clients.
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of diverse cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity.
- Demonstrated commitment to high standards of culturally responsive service delivery within an anti-racism and anti-oppression
- Knowledge of social issues faced by seniors including social isolation, barriers to technology and access to equipment.
- Knowledge of community resources and services relating to seniors services.
- Demonstrated ability in using discretion in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential issues.
- Proficiency in planning, implementing, and evaluating group activities.
- Good organizational skills, ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Demonstrated high degree of initiative, judgment, and problem-solving ability.
- Intermediate to master level skills in Microsoft and Google Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Conduct client intake by performing duties such as obtaining demographic information, providing information regarding services offered through programs, assisting clients in completing intake forms, assessing needs, level of risk, and suitability for the program, and explaining issues related to confidentiality.
- Deliver and develop specialized workshops for seniors to reduce social isolation through use of technology.
- Design, promote and organize various online and in-person workshops, information sessions and webinars.
- Register clients for workshops/information sessions/networking/mentoring activities.
- Conduct outreach activities to increase awareness of the service and recruit eligible clients.
- Actively participate in outreach activities and partnership development to enhance the program and increase visibility.
- Maintain strict confidentiality as outlined in agency privacy and confidentiality policy; behave ethically.
- Maintain program and participants records and statistics, and is accountable for inputting accurate data into Salesforce and designateddatabases; produce narrative/statistical reports as requested; prepare and provide timely reporting/statics as required.
- Participate in the evaluation of program effectiveness, interventions, and clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and progress of defined objectives.
- Establish and maintain relationships with the team and other community agencies that provide specialized services to seniors in the Hamilton and Halton region.
- Facilitate service coordination within SfC and other agencies to meet client needs.
- Distribute survey and collect data related to the client satisfaction.
- Maintain files organized and available for review by the funder and management.
- Participate in team meetings, as well as other internal and external committees as required.
- Attend staff and committee meetings as
- Other duties as required by Management.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- University degree or college diploma (or equivalent) in Technology related field, Social Work, Psychology or related field is required.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years of experience developing and delivering learning and training programs (online, classroom).
- Strong interpersonal and client service skills as well as a positive attitude towards change.
- Initiative and persistence to complete tasks as well as excellent time management and teamwork skills.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups (low income, newcomers, women, youth, seniors, victims of abuse, ) sensitivity and knowledge in dealing with diverse cultural and racial backgrounds and with special needs.
- Relevant direct experience working with seniors, newcomers and equity seeking communities.
- In- depth knowledge/ understanding of the issues effecting seniors.
- Experience operating from ant-racism, anti-islamophobia and anti-Black racism lens is critical.
- Second language is considered an.
- Ability to travel in the Hamilton and Halton region for offsite program delivery is required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to provide a clear, mandatory vulnerable sector check must be presented prior to employment.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO:
Attention: Human Resources
As part of our commitment to diverse & inclusion racial justice and reconciliation, Skills for Change encourages applications from those who identify as Black, Indigenous, LGBTQ2S+, Racialized and other under-represented communities. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in an alternate format on request. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.