PROGRAM: Immigrant, Refugee and Settlement Hub
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto, ON
REPORTS TO: Manager, Programs and Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (7 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 14.25
START DATE: July 5, 2021
END DATE: August 27, 2021 (7 weeks from start date)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 18, 2021
With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, and language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Reporting to the Manager, Programs and Services, the Program Associate will support settlement project staff and work closely with the program staff to design innovative workshops, develop new topics for training and new group activities. This role will aim to understanding the needs of newcomer refugee and immigrant clients and develop interactive workshops and group sessions. Additional tasks include project outreach and promotion, providing information and referrals to project participants and other tasks as required.
- Provides administrative and clerical duties to support Settlement staff and clients;
- Assists in organizing virtual events; activities/seminars/workshops
- Outreach and project promotion;
- Support networking, social mentoring;
- Represent the agency at events, information booths and community events;
- Provide excellent customer service and represent the agency in a positive light to community members and partners;
- Event planning, coordination and implementation;
- Support administrative needs (e.g. answering phones, responding to community inquiries, filing, photocopying etc.);
- Other tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Eager to work with newcomers and equity seeking communities;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic employment setting;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Ethical, positive work attitude;
- Punctual, reliable;
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset;
- Strong grasp of working online, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, Prezi, etc.
- Accurate, detail oriented.
- Students must be currently enrolled in a secondary, or post-secondary institution or within six months of graduation
- Proof of student enrolment must be provided to the employer;
- Enrolled in a College Social Service Worker diploma program or a related field would be an asset;
- Relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities;
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 25 upon commencement of employment or up to 29 years of age for persons with a disability, within the meaning of s.10 of the Ontario Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, as amended from time to time;
- Students must be living in Ontario at the time they start work;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Students must be residents of Ontario during the period of employment;
- Ability to secure a police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.