PROGRAM: Employer Engagement
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Programs and Strategic Initiatives
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Union)
HOURS: 25 hours per week (Monday-Friday with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $18.59 per hour
START DATE: Immediately
END DATE: March 31, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
With 38 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Outreach Assistant will work under the supervision of the Associate Director, Programs and Strategic Initiatives. The incumbent will assist with executing outreach including Skills for Change’s news portal communication tasks, support strategic initiatives, and research assistance. This position requires a high degree of innovation, creativity, critical thinking, initiative, excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an understanding of the role that communication and research play in building partnerships, leveraging resources and informing media and policy discourse.
The ideal candidate has:
- Exceptional relationship building skills with experience conducting extensive outreach
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, drafting skills and familiarity with a range of media communication tools
- Excellent command and use of Information Technology tools relevant to information dissemination and retrieval
- Assisted with research to inform strategic decision making (program development, strategic initiatives and innovation)
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends if required
- Assist with a range of outreach communication materials showcasing Skills for Change’s impact, program delivery including but not limited to impact stories, blog posts, news articles, press releases, Q&A, case studies, slide decks based on results achieved and impact generated, and Skills for Change’s research bank.
- Contribute to tracking and disseminating Skills for Change results to showcase impact through analyzing and presenting targeted outreach strategies including publications, digital and multi-media formats tailored for different audiences.
- Support the process of publishing a wide range of content on the news portal and support the running of effective campaigns aimed at raising the profile of Skills for Change to multiple stakeholders;
- Continuously track policy developments and media coverage of immigration and related work/labour market developments and trends to aid outreach strategy; identify opportunities to inform policy conversations and public dialogue and support the growth and leadership of Skills for Change as an advocacy group on issues affecting immigrants, newcomers and refugees.
- Support the promotion of Skills for Change’s added value in priority thematic areas and sectors for newcomers, immigrants and refugees, linking up to analysis from expert organizations among others. This includes profiling Skills for Change’s support on thematic areas through the newsletter, website and social media highlights, joint policy briefs and platforms such as partner events among others.
- Build understanding of, and access to, priority Skills for Change delivery areas through updated knowledge, lessons learnt and information exchange by aiding the maintenance and operation of the virtual news platform using website and social media tools. This includes ensuring increased website traffic flow to the news portal, news portal’s quality (content and functionality) as well as promoting Skills for Change champions and program innovations.
- Contribute to organizing events and producing digital content and materials including relevant outreach products (brochures, animations, flyers).
- Provide regular support to Skills for Change stakeholder engagement including using different communication tools to sensitize stakeholders in events.
- Boost a shared vision on Skills for Change delivery by raising the Skills for Change profile including on initiating positive contacts with media outlets leading to Skills for Change organization coverage and showcasing Skills for Change jointly with wider partners at events, and wider activities where possible.
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and all other Board and Committee meetings as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong all-round communication skills especially writing, editing and proofreading, and the ability to summarize complex research information in clear, non-specialist language for a wide range of communication formats.
- Ability to write and speak in a second language is considered an asset (French, Hindi, Farsi, Yoruba, Swahili, Chinese etc).
- Good knowledge of the development sector with strategic communications for non-profits considered an advantage;
- Knowledge and familiarity of organizations involved in workforce strategies, decent work, networks and media is essential along with a clear understanding of research communications and impact;
- Experience using web-based tools for communication such as Microsoft Office suite, WordPress, MailChimp, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Sprout (social media management), Google Suite, Zoom, Slack etc.,
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collectively in a diverse and dynamic team environment.
- Strong planning and organization skills with ability to prioritize deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing, or relevant subject area required.
- Minimum 2 years direct experience in a similar capacity with fundraising and public policy experience preferred.
- A clear, mandatory vulnerable sector check
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.