DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: Operations & Organization Systems
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair West, Toronto, Ontario M6C 1B7
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday)
JOB GROUP: Management (Non-Unionized)
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
START DATE: April 1, 2021
END DATE: March 31, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 5, 2021
With 38 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Manager, Operations and Information Systems is a new position that is part of Skills for Change’s senior leadership team and is responsible for leading the operation of all SfC’s sites and systems. The Manager ensures all operations, administrative and organizational systems including buildings and property maintenance, information systems both technology and management planning, evaluation and data analysis allow SfC’s programs and services to function optimally. The Manager provides consistent strategic and organizational support to all services through effective planning, managing systems and people, and evaluating activities and outcomes for the delivery of high-quality efficient services.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is a ‘doer” with outstanding judgement and demonstrated project management skills who will ensure operational projects are well managed and followed through to completion.
- Pays keen attention to detail to provide quality assurance of deliverables including oversight.
- Has managed multiple projects in a fast-paced environment; familiarity and/or experience with project life cycle.
- Understands and has managed change management processes, lead organizational change with ability to adapt quickly to a changing environment
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively on cross-functional projects and programs
- Has in-depth knowledge of related Health & Safety Legislation and demonstrates commitment to the principles and practice of the determinants of health.
- Possess data management expertise including ability to collect and analyze data and familiarity with computer hardware and software systems
- Knowledge of and experience with financial management systems and human resources management in a unionized environment.
- Has excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and customer focus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Property Management & Building Operations
- Manage, plan, coordinate and monitor the physical, environmental and security conditions and general maintenance of the building facilities of all locations.
- Oversee preventative maintenance and unscheduled repairs of general maintenance including interior and exterior building components, plumbing, lighting, electrical, elevating devices and life safety systems, and janitorial and housekeeping tasks.
- Prepare and administer contracts for provision of property service, such as cleaning and maintenance, security services, pest control.
- Supervision of building operations, plan and manage day-to-day property and equipment maintenance functions.
- Monitor third party contract personnel as it relates to contracted services including custodial staff and maintenance personnel (cleaning, HVAC, etc).
- Develop and monitor maintenance schedules to ensure work completion and compliance.
- Obtain quotes from various trades as requested based on work plans and established needs.
- Support Skills for Change corporate occupational health and safety and environmental programs and sit as management representative on the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Review Occupational Health and Safety policies and procedures and function within the standards set out by the most current Occupational Health and Safety Act, as amended from time to time.
- Lead the project management systems for maintenance initiatives.
- Conduct insurance and risk management inspections, remedial actions and reporting.
- Remain current with relevant new industry practices, legislative changes and technologies.
- Monitor performance and trouble shoot small HVAC, electrical, mechanical, life safety and other equipment (i.e. Emergency generator, sprinkler flows etc.).
- Complete monthly maintenance inspections of the interior and exterior property and coordinate corrective action for deficiencies immediately including reporting to relevant committees.
- Coordinate the implementation of repairs, maintenance and renovations; monitor associated costs
- Coordinate all security services including fire and burglary alarm systems; train “key holder” staff; act as primary contact for all evening, weekend and holiday fire and burglary alarm system emergency calls
- Maintain an equipment inventory including service agreements for HVAC, plumbing, locks/doors, pest control
- Prepare annual department budget; compile and maintain records on operating expenses; prepare reports
- Plan and oversee repairs or maintenance in inclement weather or uncomfortable environmental working conditions; may be required to attend to or provide direction during after-hours emergency situations.
- On-call for emergencies – cell phone provided.
- Oversee information technology activities and ensures effective information systems are in place and performing to users needs including salesforce database, accounting systems, networks, emails and other communication tools.
- Oversee information technology activities and ensures effective information systems are in place; categorizes and manage all technology tools and solutions used across the Agency.
- Responsible for all Information Technology across the Agency (all sites) including Purchasing, Installation, and Operations.
- Plan and manage the provisioning of an efficient and effective information system and database (Salesforce) that meets managers, staff and client user needs.
- Manage and oversee the development of operational plans for organization’s administration and centre wide systems.
- Actively participates organizational planning activities and the successful implementation of the Strategic, Operational and Program Plans.
- Oversee organizational and program budgets and ensures organization meets all established accountability measures.
- Oversee and monitor property and building management activities, including repair and maintenance, leases and capital expenditures.
- Complete any necessary training related to privacy and security and complies with any privacy and security policies and procedures, to ensure appropriate handling of confidential and personal information.
- Support and/or supervise student placements within the centre as required.
- Participate in all required meetings, training and Skills for Change events.
- Complete other administrative task and duties required as applicable.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Operation Management, Project Management, Construction Management, Occupational Health and Safety or a related field is mandatory. A Master’s degree is considered an asset.
- A minimum of 3-5 years direct work experience in a similar position in a community based or not profit organization, commercial building, property management or shopping centre operation required.
- Familiarity with Green building rating systems and associated duties: LEED-EB, BOMA Best or equivalent is an asset.
- Familiar with automated preventative maintenance programs and web-based operations related programs IE: Building automation systems.
- A clear vulnerable sector check is required.
- Position requires travel, access to a motor vehicle would be an asset.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.