PROGRAM: Immigrant, Refugee and Settlement Hub
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West Toronto
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Programs and Services
JOB GROUP: Instructors
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Union) – (Sick Leave Coverage)
HOURS: 4.5 hours per day
HOURLY RATE: $ 33.94
START DATE: January 20, 2020
END DATE: March 31, 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 10, 2020
The Immigrant, Refugee and Settlement (IRS) hub – The Hub@791 – is a coordinated suite of programs and services to support the social, civic and economic integration of newcomers to Canada. IRS programs operate like a “hub,” delivering a hybrid model of classroom and online learning, as well as itinerant programs and services to meet the needs of immigrants and refugees in the various communities within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program (levels 4/5 and 6/7), a federally funded language and settlement program, is one of the suite of programs offered under the IRS Hub. LINC provides students with the opportunity to improve their English language skills to successfully integrate into the Canadian society and the workplace.
- Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
- Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012.
- Assess participant’s needs and interests and develop and refine appropriate curriculum and materials
- Provide information on language related to daily needs of survival and newcomer settlement issues
- Provide language instruction through listening, speaking, pronunciation, oral exercises, reading, writing, and related CALL software available
- Monitor student’s progress through observation and the assignment of regular performance tasks and tests
- Promote interactive language learning in a classroom setting
- Organize field trips and guest speakers to enhance the student’s cultural knowledge and base them on relevant topics
- Maintain student client data, attendance, transportation, and proficiency forms, and other student statistics as required
- Prepare monthly narrative report and end of term reports on student and class activities
- Minimum two years adult LINC and /or ESL experience, and post-secondary education
- TESL certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario
- Certified by TESL Ontario and current membership status
- In depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012, the LINC Curriculum Guidelines and ESL for Adult Literacy Learners (ALL) 2015.
- Experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers.
- Must have working knowledge with CLB’s and have the ability to integrate the CLB curriculum guidelines into the program
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment)
- Ongoing professional development in order to develop and refine the class curriculum to meet changing needs
- Excellent English communication skills
- Excellent teaching and group facilitation skills
- Demonstrate ability to develop a program based on the experiences, social context and life goals of the learners
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, ability to teach fundamentals
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with other instructors in areas such as curriculum; lesson planning and content, materials and methodology
- Sensitivity to, and understanding of, issues of concern to newcomers and refugees
- Ability to secure a Police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.