English as a Second Language
Language skills are an important consideration because language proficiency significantly increases employability, and once you have a job, it can influence your potential for advancement.
Offered in partnership with the Toronto District School Board, our English as a second language (ESL) courses are occupation based and excellent for career advancement.
Services are available to:
Be 18 years or older, Landed Immigrant, Convention Refugee, Refugee Claimant, Live-in- Caregiver or Canadian Citizen (whose first language is not English). Have an assessment done by a YMCA Assessment Centre.
- You are 18 years of age or older
- Your first language is not English or French
- You have an intermediate level of English (CLB 5-7)
- You have completed high school, or you are an early school leaver; AND you are not currently enrolled in any publicly supported day school in Ontario
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, convention refugee, protected person, or refugee claimant; or
- a provincial nominee, or their dependant, who has been approved through the Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program but has not yet been processed to receive permanent resident status; or
- a temporary foreign worker, or their dependant, who has been approved through the Canadian Experience Class; or
- a foreign domestic worker admitted under the Live-In Caregiver program.
To register students must present 1 piece of identification showing status in Canada and 1 piece of identification with a picture. Provide original documents (no photocopies).
Interested applicants must register directly with TDSB at 416-395-4980
Program Location: Skills for Change, 791 St. Clair Avenue W.