We are looking for newcomers who are over the age of 16 to participate in a project called, “Identifying solutions towards aspired career pathways and quality of work in the hospitality sector”. The goal of the project is to examine the experiences of newcomers (who have arrived in Canada after 2012) who work in the tourism and hospitality industry, to identify ways to create better work environments. We are looking for 90 newcomers to participate in the study.
Participants will take part in a 15-minute survey. They may then be invited to participate in a follow-up online 1-hour interview or a 10-person focus group discussion with other newcomers employees.
Participants will receive:
Only those who participate in the interview or focus group discussion will receive a $10 Tim Hortons gift card.
- Be over 16 years old of age and have access to the internet
- A newcomer to Canada (lived in Canada for fewer than 10 years)
- Currently work in one the following accommodation and food services industry:
- i) Traveller Accommodation (for example: hotel front desk clerk, housekeeper, accommodation service manager)
- ii) Drinking places (alcoholic beverages) (for example: bartenders, bar managers)
- iii) Full-service restaurants and limited-service eating places (for example: cook, chef, food counter attendants, kitchen helpers)
We are looking for employers, managers and supervisors in the tourism and hospitality sector who have experience working with newcomers to participate in a research study called: “Identifying solutions towards aspired career pathways and quality of work in the hospitality sector”. We are looking for 30 employers to participate in the study.
We are looking for employers who work with newcomers and are able to speak about recruitment and retention practices as well as working with newcomers. There is no incentive for participation.
Participants will take part in a:
- 15-minute online survey
- have the option to do a follow-up interview or participate in a 10-person focus group.
To participate in the study, you must:
- be 16 years of age or older
- have access to the internet
- currently work as a manager or employer in the hospitality and tourism industry (one of the following industries: (a.) traveler accommodation [motel, hotel], (b.) drinking places [bars], (c.) restaurants)
For more information about either of these studies, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-658-3101 ext. 253.
Principal Investigator Wendy Cukier at email@example.com or call 416-979-5000 ext. 6740
These studies has been reviewed and approved by Toronto Metropolitan University’s Research Ethics Board (REB 2022-426). If you have questions regarding your rights as a participant in either of these studies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-979-5042