PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER (PSW)
For more than 90 years, VHA Home HealthCare has lent a helping hand to people in the community including: seniors, families, new parents, newborn babies, people with physical and mental disabilities, and the terminally ill. We have more than 2,700 professionals—nurses, personal support workers, home support workers, home service providers, extreme cleaners and office support staff—providing services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to clients in their homes and in long-term care facilities.
At VHA we love our work. As a team member you’ll do more than provide services to clients; you’ll build strong, long-lasting relationships. We offer high-quality, multilingual services that are growing across Ontario, and our work environment focuses on supporting clients and staff through client and family centred care, well-connected healthcare teams, and continual improvement.
At VHA Home HealthCare, more is not just our commitment to clients, but to our incredible team of Personal Support Workers. Our caring, professional team offers spectacular care to Ontario seniors, families, adults and children living with disabilities or suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, helping them live life more independently, in comfort and with dignity.
Personal Support Worker – Toronto, Etobicoke, North York, East York and Scarborough. Full-time and Part-time openings. Morning Shifts and Evening shifts open.
VHA’s Personal Support Workers (PSWs) help clients live more comfortably, safely and as independently as possible. Their skilled, compassionate support can also be a great assistance to family caregivers looking for a much needed break. Personal support workers assist our clients with:
- Activities of daily living such as grooming, dressing and bathing
- Meal planning and preparation
- Mobility and transfers
- Light household duties such as cleaning, laundry and washing dishes
- Provision of special functions that have been taught, with respect to the client by a regulated health professional.
- Reporting changes in client behaviour and condition
- Demonstrated ability to recognize safety issues and follow safe work practices
- Possess a compassionate and flexible nature, and a client-centred approach to care-giving
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Requires good judgement, problem solving and assessment abilities
- A keen desire to learn
- PSW certification from an approved and recognized educational institution
- RN/RPN/DSW/HCA/Personal Attendant certification
- RN or RPN students with a minimum successful completion of 1 year
- 3 years’ experience in providing homemaking and/or personal support services, including care of seniors, children.
- Experience working in the community as a PSW is an asset.
- Ability to read, write and speak English (equivalent to grade 10 level).
- Demonstrated commitment to client and family centred care.
- Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of physical readiness test to ensure safe work practices are followed including mobility, transfers, bending, lifting, push and pulling.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize safety concerns, communicate effectively using a computer and/or mobile device.
- Requires good judgement, the ability to work independently and work cooperatively with the care-giving team.
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills to safely service clients.
- Immunization for measles, rubella and varicella, and prophylaxic immunization of Hepatitis B is strongly urged. Must be screened for tuberculosis where required (i.e. long term care facility).
- Ability to travel between assignments by public transportation or by car
- Flexible to work weekends
- Current CPR and First Aid certification is a definite asset
- Ability to speak a second language is a definite asset
Why Work at VHA?
- VHA has over 90 years of experience providing high quality care you can be proud of.
- A stimulating, client and family focused work environment.
- A variety of full-time and part time positions.
- We invest in our staff, offering continuous opportunities for learning.
- Competitive compensation and paid orientation.
- Eligible staff are entitled to a comprehensive benefits package.
- Pension is available to eligible staff.
- A confidential, free Employee Assistance Program is available to all staff and service providers.
- We foster a supportive, and respectful team environment.