PROGRAM: Human Resources
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Director People and Culture
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Non-Unionized)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
START DATE: Immediately
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
With 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for trades, women, and youth.
Reporting to the Director People and Culture, the Human Resources and Labour Relations Coordinator assists in the provision of comprehensive Human Resources services within Skills for Change including the provision of effective labour relations, employee relations, HR administration, recruiting & selection, performance management, attendance management, and respectful workplace culture. The Coordinator assists with the development, and implementation of Human Resource policies and programs to meet the needs of the organization. This position also assists with the interpretation of collective agreement and workplace policies and procedures. This position involves working with management and non-management staff, unions, and health care providers. The position of Human Resources and Labour Relations Coordinators functions in a manner consistent with, and supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Skills for Change.
RECRUITMENT AND ONBOARDING
- Guides the full recruitment cycle (including identification of staffing needs, job posting creation, candidate screening, etc) and resource planning to ensure staffing requirements are met in an effective and timely manner.
- Maintains employee handbook and participates in the on-boarding process to foster a positive attitude toward organizational objectives.
- Coordinates with the Program Management team to ensure accurate HR administration of new hires, departures, transfers, absence management, training records etc.
EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
Participates in the development and delivery of employee engagement initiatives across the agency.
- Provides basic guidance, and solutions to employee inquiries on various HR-related issues.
- Prepares Power Point presentations related to Human Resources lunch and learn employee training sessions.
- Organizes internal and external professional development training workshops, as required.
HR & LABOUR RELATIONS ADMINISTRATION
- Provides support and guidance to managers to ensure best HR practices are followed and collective agreement are correctly interpreted and applied.
- Interprets and provides guidance to staff on the collective agreement, agency policies, and new government legislation.
- Coordinates grievance processes including research and documentation necessary to the SfC’s position in grievance responses, mediation and arbitration.
- Provides support to management team in the negotiation of Collective Agreement
- Confirms employment verification inquiries and drafts letters.
- Provides advice and support to managers to ensure progressive discipline, performance management and attendance management issues are properly administered.
- Supports and assists in collective bargaining, essential services planning, etc., as required.
- Maintains continuing awareness of all changes to federal and provincial legislation pertaining to labour and employee relations.
- Provides general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts and document distribution.
- Performs research, benchmarking, data gathering, reporting and presentation of options and recommendations on HR related projects.
- Attends and records minutes during HR Committee and Health and Safety Committee Meetings.
- Coordinates, plans, develops and implements other projects as required, including drafting and updating employment policies as identified through legislation and organizational changes.
- Performs a wide range of filing and/or reporting work as required.
- Serve as back up for processes payroll on a bi-weekly basis including reviewing time records, checking payroll for accuracy, and dealing with issues as they arise
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge on the interpretation and application of collective agreement provisions and human resource policies such as progressive discipline up to and including termination.
- Diploma, degree and/or post-graduate certificate in Human Resources, Labour Relations or equivalent.
- General knowledge of all aspects of human resource services and employee administration. Experience with an electronic Human Resource Management System is required.
- Experience in human resource management in a unionized environment required.Other suitable combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in health care environment preferred.
- Experience with an electronic Human Resource Management System (HRIS) is required.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in HR role within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong customer service focus, with excellent communication skills for dealing with a wide range of individuals.
- Excellent ability to juggle multiple priorities while adhering to processes and deadlines.
- Independent and self-motivated, with the ability to take the initiative in liaising with other departments and/or external resources.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO:firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted