PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Specialist
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
START DATE: Immediately
END DATE: March 31, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 7, 2021
With 39 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
Working alongside the Human Resources Specialist, Human Resource Assistant and the Program Management team, this position focuses on a wide range of Human Resource and Labour Relations administrative duties in some of following areas: employment, employee relations, benefits, workplace health & safety and office administration.
RECRUITMENT AND ONBOARDING
- Participates in the full recruitment cycle (job posting creation, candidate screening, interviews etc);
- Employee orientation, development, and training logistics and recordkeeping;
- Maintains employee standards and participates in the on-boarding process to foster a positive attitude toward organizational objectives;
- Coordinates with the Program Management team to ensure accurate HR administration of new hires, departures, transfers, absence management, training records etc;
EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
- Promote best practice to ensure a respectful and non-discriminatory work environment and culture;
- Provides basic guidance, and solutions to employee inquiries on various HR-related issues;
- Prepares presentations related to employee training sessions;
- Organizes internal and external professional development training workshops, as required;
- Assists with the day-to-day efficient operation of the HR office;
LABOUR RELATIONS ADMINISTRATION
- Provide clerical and administrative support to HR Specialist;
- Interprets and provides guidance to staff on the collective agreement, agency policies, and new government legislation;
- Provide administration support as it relates to grievance processes including research and documentation necessary to the SfC’s position in grievance responses, mediation and arbitration;
- Provides administrative support to management team in the negotiation of Collective Agreement;
- Provide administrative support to company employee communication and union;
- Confirms employment verification inquiries and drafts letters;
- Provides general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts and document distribution.
- Maintain human resource information systems (HRIS) by updating the database, managing user accounts, and resolving bugs.
- Assist in responding to inquiries and educating other employees about using the software.
- Generating reports on key metrics.
- Maintaining employee files and the digital HR filing system
- Evaluate HRIS to identify points of improvement
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop technology solutions that help to streamline and automate (new) HR processes
- Implement process improvements and policy changes designed to improve efficiency and the user experience with the system
- Ensuring security, end-user access, and data integrity across all HR platforms
- Provides general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts and document distribution;
- Maintaining employee files and the virtual HR filing system;
- Coordinates, plans, develops and implements other projects as required, including drafting and updating employment policies as identified through legislation and organizational changes;
- Attends meetings as required;
- May perform other related duties as assigned;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal & written communication skills in English language.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently to achieve day-to-day results in a diverse and dynamic team environment.
- Strong customer service focus, with excellent communication skills for dealing with a wide range of individuals.
- Excellent ability to juggle multiple priorities while adhering to processes and deadlines.
- Independent and self-motivated, with the ability to take the initiative in liaising with other departments and/or external resources.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong grasp of working in a Microsoft and Google’s environment (eg. Zoom, Slack, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, SPSS, Salesforce etc.)
- Experience with racialized, newcomer, women issues with an intersectional, anti-oppression framework etc
- Diploma, degree and/or post-graduate certificate in Information Technology, Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or related field required.
- Diploma, degree and/or post-graduate certificate in Commerce, Human Resources Management, Business, Administration, Social Science, Psychology or related field required.
- Up to 2 years’ experience in an administrative-level role within a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Must provide a clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector screening.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.