JOB CLASSIFICATION: Human Resources Assistant (Canada Summer Jobs)
DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: Human Resources
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Director, People and Culture
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (8 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 15.50
START DATE: May 22, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 10, 2023
With over 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
Skills for Change is seeking a highly motivated and organized HR Assistant to join our team for an 8-week period starting May 22nd, 2023. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the HR Manager and will be responsible for providing general administrative support to the HR team, maintaining our HRIS system, and assisting with HR projects and initiatives.
The ideal candidate will possess a high degree of innovation, creativity, and personal initiative, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and an understanding of the role that HR has to play in supporting organizational goals. The incumbent will support the HR team in various tasks such as recruitment, onboarding, benefits administration, employee relations, and policy implementation.
- Post open positions on Skills for Change websites;
- Provide general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts, and document distribution;
- Maintain Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) by updating the database;
- Assist in responding to inquiries and educating other employees about using the software;
- Maintain employee files and the digital HR filing system;
- Partner with internal stakeholders to develop technology solutions that help to streamline and automate (new) HR processes;
- Implement process improvements and policy changes designed to improve efficiency and the user experience with the system;
- Serve as a system administrator for HR systems and applications;
- Ensure security, end-user access, and data integrity across all HR platforms;
- Support critical system maintenance and operational tasks within the HRIS;
- Coordinate, plan, develop, and implement other projects as required;
- Present data, when requested, in a manner that will be understood by co-workers and stakeholders;
- Support SFC project activities as required;
- Perform other administrative duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of Human Resources processes, policies and procedures;
- Familiarity with HR systems and applications, specifically HRIS databases;
- Ability to manage and organize large amounts of data;
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to maintain high levels of accuracy;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment;
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines;
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound judgement;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion;
- Understanding of project management principles and the ability to work on and manage multiple projects;
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Completed or in pursuit of post-secondary education in human resources, communications or relevant subject area and experience, as well as highly developed communication skills, drafting skills and familiarity with a range of media tools.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.