PROGRAM: Human Resources
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: HR Specialist
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (8 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
START DATE: June 14, 2021
END DATE: August 10, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 30, 2021
With 38 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
Supporting the Human Resource function, this position focuses on a wide range of Human Resource and Labour Relations administrative duties in some of following areas: employment, employee relations, benefits, workplace health & safety and office administration.
- Support full recruitment cycle including but not limited to interview & prescreen scheduling and communication.
- Employee orientation, development, and training logistics and recordkeeping.
- Support the maintenance of employee standards to foster a positive attitude toward organizational objectives;
- Coordinates with the Program Management team to ensure accurate HR administration of new hires, departures, transfers, absence management, training records etc;
- Promote best practice to ensure a respectful and non-discriminatory work environment and culture;
- Provides basic guidance, and solutions to employee inquiries on various HR-related issues;
- Coordinate new hire on-boarding and support training module preparation & scheduling.
- Organizes internal and external professional development training workshops, as required;
- Assists with the day-to-day efficient operation of the HR office;
- Provide clerical and administrative support to HR team (draft letters and other correspondence etc).
- Provides general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts and document distribution.
- Maintain human resource information systems (HRIS) by updating the database, managing user accounts, and reporting issues.
- Maintain employee files and the virtual other relevant databases.
- Assist in responding to inquiries and educating other employees about using HR tools and software.
- Ensuring security, end-user access, and data integrity across all HR platforms
- Provides general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts and document distribution;
- Attends meetings as required;
- May perform other related duties as assigned;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal & written communication skills in English language.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently to achieve day-to-day results in a diverse and dynamic team environment.
- Strong customer service focus, with excellent communication skills for dealing with a wide range of individuals.
- Excellent ability to juggle multiple priorities while adhering to processes and deadlines.
- Independent and self-motivated, with the ability to take the initiative in liaising with other departments and/or external resources.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong grasp of working in a Microsoft and Google’s environment (eg. Zoom, Slack, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, SPSS, Salesforce etc.)
- Experience with racialized, newcomer, women issues with an intersectional, anti-oppression framework.
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Post-secondary education or qualification in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Information Business Systems or related field required.
- The ability to write clearly and concisely, and a commitment to accuracy and detailed oriented quality work
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written with proven experience in writing, with the ability and experience writing for website and blogs as well as copywriting for advertisement
- The ability to manage multiple priorities and competing demands, and must possess excellent organizational and time management skills
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team and perform tasks under minimal supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and to adhere to project deadlines, prioritizing tasks accordingly
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.