PROGRAM: Newcomer Entrepreneurship Hub
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West, Toronto ON
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Programs and Strategic Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Union)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $27.24 per hour
START DATE: Immediately
END DATE: January 8, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
With 38 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
Reporting to the Associate Director of Programs & Services, the Entrepreneurship Instructor works within the Newcomer Entrepreneurship Hub to deliver entrepreneurship curriculum and evaluate learner outcomes. The instructor will also provide individual counselling and support to learners. While doing so, the Instructor will maintain the Skills for Change high standards of professionalism and quality of service. Newcomer Entrepreneurship Hub is a program operating under Skills for Change whose purpose is to improve employment outcomes for new immigrants. The program is designed to break down barriers for newcomers to successfully establish a business and/or obtain employment by focusing on the entrepreneurial spirit of newcomers by providing information and support to increase newcomers’ knowledge of establishing a business in Ontario.
- Teach the following courses: Business Strategy, Creative Entrepreneurship, Business Management & Operations, Finance for Small Business, Marketing, Business sales Development
- Teach any other new or existing courses provided under the Newcomer Entrepreneurship Hub
- Research and update existing labour markets, consumer information, and community resources to support the needs of program participants
- Modify existing curriculum and deliverables to as needed to keep them current.
- Assist clients with concept development, marketing planning, risk analysis, and drafting of comprehensive business plans
- Provide clients with appropriate referrals relevant to their needs or goals in terms of business development, research, financial support, and mentoring
- Provide individual counseling and coaching support to clients through one-on-one interactions or electronic communication as required
- Assist in organizing as well as attending outreach events, networking events, guest speaker events, and continuous learning clinics
- Produce metrics on client service activities including client evaluations and client outcomes
- Assist in the updating of client files as required
- Contribute to marketing initiatives such as e-newsletters, social media, and promotional materials as required
- Participate in the evaluation of the program’s effectiveness and present solutions to enhance service effectiveness on an ongoing basis and as part of the larger agency service system
- Work as part of a team to ensure smooth delivery and coordination of service to clients
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and all other board and committee meetings as required
- Handle all other duties as they may be assigned by Management
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from an accredited post-secondary institution is required
- Mandatory, clear vulnerable sector check required
- Minimum 5 years of business unit leadership in an entrepreneurial environment
- Minimum 5 years of business concept development, marketing planning, risk analysis, and drafting comprehensive business plans
- Minimum 5 years of researching labour markets, consumer information, and community resources
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated ability developing goals and action plans for business units
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate classroom learning and workshops
- Demonstrated ability to provide coaching and counselling to learners and/or business units
- Intermediate level skills in MS Office with a focus on Excel and PowerPoint
- Sensitivity to and understanding of barriers to newcomers
- Keen eye for detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to deal with people tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Ability to be flexible with his/her schedule, working days, evenings, and weekends, and move between our various locations within the GTA on a regular basis
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.