JOB CLASSIFICATION: Community Worker (Canada Summer Jobs)
DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: Skilled Trades Pre-Apprenticeship
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 30 Weston Road, Unit A309 – Upper Level, Toronto, Ontario, M6N 0A7
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Programs & Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (8 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday-Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 15.50
START DATE: May 22, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 10, 2023
With over 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
Skills for Change is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Community Worker to join our team for a 8-week period starting on May 22nd, 2023. The successful candidate will work closely with the Skilled Trades Pre-Apprenticeship team to support our trades staff and clients. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing administrative and clerical support, assisting with virtual events and activities, promoting outreach and projects, networking and social mentoring, representing the agency at events and information booths, and assisting with client follow-up and documentation.
- Provide administrative and clerical support to trades staff and clients;
- Assist with organizing virtual events, activities, seminars, and workshops;
- Promote outreach projects to the community;
- Support networking and social mentoring efforts;
- Represent the agency at events and information booths;
- Follow up with clients and collect necessary documentation;
- Provide excellent customer service and maintain a positive image of the agency to the community and partners;
- Plan, coordinate, and implement events;
- Assist with administrative tasks such as answering phones, responding to inquiries, and filing;
- Other tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, PowerPoint, and Word;
- Proficient in Google Suite;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with discretion;
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Completed or in pursuit of post-secondary education in journalism, communications or relevant subject area and experience, as well as highly developed communication skills, drafting skills and familiarity with a range of media tools.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community. Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.