PROGRAM: Employment Ontario
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: York South-Weston
REPORTS TO: Manager, Programs and Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (16 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 15.00
START DATE: Immediately
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
With 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province-wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Reporting to the Manager, Programs and Services, the Community Worker will support the Employment Ontario Employment Services, Pre-Apprenticeship Programs.
This is part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program,
• Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Conduct research on immigration patterns in local and surrounding communities and market specifically to clients in these areas of high immigrant settlement as determined via research
- Conduct outreach virtual and in person (when applicable) to local community service providers and employer partners to market Skills for Change’s services
- Assist the staff with scheduling clients for intakes and preparing forms and documents as required
- Assist the staff with monitoring online classroom/workshop attendance and co-facilitating workshops geared to immigrants and/or low-income women
- Provide administration support to program as needed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Eager to work with newcomers and equity seeking communities;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic employment setting;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Ethical, positive work attitude;
- Punctual, reliable;
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset;
- Strong grasp of working online, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, etc.
- Accurate, detail oriented.
- College diploma in Social Service Worker or a related field;
- And/or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution;
- And/or relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities;
- Ability to secure a police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment.
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.