PROGRAM: Horticulture Technician Pre-Apprenticeship Program
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: York South-Weston
REPORTS TO: Manager, Programs & Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (8 weeks)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
RATE: $ 15.00
START DATE: Immediately
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
With 40 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province-wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, mental health and wellness, language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
This is part of the Canada Summer Jobs Program,
• Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment.
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
The Community Service Worker will:
- Conduct outreach (virtual) to local service providers and employer partners in (Peel/York) to market Trades Win Support and other Skills for Change’s programs services to stakeholders
- Conduct research on immigration patterns in local and surrounding communities to uncover trends in support of marketing plans and proposal development
- Support the marketing and implementation of information sessions, community events and other outreach activities
- Conduct research to find employment opportunities for TWSP clients
- Provide administration support to program as needed
- Support project development and maintenance;
- Support in providing information sessions/workshops;
- Assist in intake, assessment, one-on-one counselling and creating solution focused action plans for clients, client follow up including collection of required documentation;
- Administrative assistance (e.g. filing, data entry, event planning etc.);
- Workshop development and facilitation
- Assist with research;
- Support project outreach, partnership and employment leads;
- Represent the agency at events, information booths and community events;
- Provide excellent customer service and represent the agency in a positive light to community members and partners;
- Event planning, coordination and implementation;
- Support administrative needs (e.g. answering phones, responding to community inquiries, filing, photocopying etc.);
- Other tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal);
- Eager to work with newcomers and equity seeking communities;
- Strong organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic employment setting;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Ethical, positive work attitude;
- Punctual, reliable;
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset;
- Strong grasp of working online, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, etc.
- Accurate, detail oriented.
- College diploma in Social Service Worker or a related field;
- And/or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution;
- And/or relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities;
- Ability to secure a police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment;
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.