PROGRAM: Jane/Finch Literacy through Mentorship; Bridging Education to Employment
COMPANY: Skills for Change
LOCATION: 791 St. Clair Ave West Toronto, with satellite location (Jane-Finch)
REPORTS TO: Supervisor, Programs and Services
CONTRACT TYPE: Contract (Unionized)
HOURS: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
PAY RATE: $ 21.00
START DATE: January 4, 2021
END DATE: June 2, 2021
PERIOD: 21.6 weeks (dependent on the actual start date)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until FIlled
With 38 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit charity with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. We offer a range of accelerated programs including mentoring, employment, settlement, language training together with specialized programs for skilled trades, women, and youth. We have 5 locations across the GTA and serve 16,000 clients annually. We believe we are in the best position to provide thought leadership through evidence-based programming, impact stories and proactive policy advocacy using knowledge mobilization products.
PROGRAM NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Community Liaison Worker will work under the supervision of the Supervisor, Programs and Services and will provide administrative, program, and operational support regarding the planning, development and implementation of programs serving Jane-Finch youth clients.
The Jane-Finch Literacy Through Mentorship program seeks to provide locally relevant literacy programming for middle school students in the Jane-Finch neighbourhood through an afterschool program, facilitated through peer mentorship between high school (grades 9-12) and middle school (grades 6-8) students. The primary responsibilities of the Community Liaison Worker is to perform all tasks related to the execution, planning, outreach and delivery of the program informed by the findings from the Jane-Finch Bridging Education to Employment research.
- Develop and implement effective and relevant outreach strategies to engage Jane-Finch community
- Plan and deliver locally-relevant literacy and peer mentoring programming; adjust the curriculum as required based on specific needs clients
- Market and promote Skills for Change youth programs to various stakeholders including networking sessions and special events and raise Agency profile.
- Plan, organize and implement community involvement initiatives in relation to youths in conjunction with other community organizations particularly in the Jane/Finch area
- Establish and maintain relationships with local school boards, community and youth service providers
- Maintain up to date knowledge regarding issues and trends related to youths in Jane-Finch community and their literacy needs
- Build relationships with youth clients and stakeholders in the community. Provide clients with information on relevant internal and external services and resources in the community
- Support Jane-Finch collective activities and interventions working with coach, community partners, youths, and other stakeholders
- Present and facilitate sessions on research findings and interventions related to the project
- Support the design and implementation of youth engagement activities aligned with the program objectives
- Maintain accurate records and statistics related to the activities undertaken and outcomes achieved and prepare monthly reports; Track, produce and report all statistical reports as required by the program
- Participate in team meetings; staff meetings and committee meetings as required
- Develop and update information materials such as application/referral forms, attendance lists and presentations
- Participate in the distribution, collection, collation and analysis of participant surveys and other evaluation methodology
- Liaise with other SfC program staff on an ongoing basis to support and monitor client progress. Delivering smooth coordination of services between SfC programs
- Maintain positive professional relationships and communication links with public and other relevant community resources.
- Additional duties as assigned by management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Knowledge of literacy, numeracy and digital fluency; ability to communicate and teach youths
- Experience working with, sensitivity and knowledge in dealing with youth from different cultural and racial backgrounds, youth with special needs, marginalized and equity seeking youth groups.
- Experience with outreach and mentoring activities, presentations and strategies for youth literacy programming
- Knowledge of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion best practices and Anti-Black Racism frameworks
- Ability to work in an efficient manner with a high degree of independence
- Problem solving skills and resourcefulness in meeting clients’ support needs
- Understanding of issues of concern to youth literacy needs in Jane/Finch community
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with youths and youth stakeholders in equity seeking communities
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Excellent verbal, written communication and customer service skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Suites
- Excellent teamwork and positive attitude towards change
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- University degree or college diploma (or equivalent) in Social Sciences, Education or other related field
- Minimum 2-years experience conducting outreach activities, presentations, literacy and educational programs specifically for BIPOC Youth Programs
- 1-year experience collaborating with community resources that support marginalized youth especially in BIPOC communities
- Clear criminal reference check for vulnerable sector
PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO: email@example.com
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.